Monday 1 July 2013

Life as an Exchange Student in Japan

Hey everybody!

I think today, after one whole week as an exchange student in Japan, I will tell you guys about my daily life so far.  :D

(morning)
For a girl who has been known to sleep until 4 in the afternoon, coming to Japan has been a total body shock. Every morning, my darling iPod wakes me up with the sound of Ireland (i.e. church bells) at the ungodly hour of 6am.
When I searched for "sleepy head" on google I found this and it was much better than the picture I originally wanted so please enjoy it.

 
After the initial body-clock-shock of waking up this early, I get dressed and eat breakfast (generally something cool like eggs and sausage and melon-bread and salad) and go to the bus stop for 7am.
 
The bus costs ¥190 each way so it`s fair cheap. It takes about twenty minutes to get to the train station so it`s a relaxing, picturesque ride. For some reason most bus drivers in Japan (that I`ve encountered) make announcements with this kind of voice:
Seriously, do all professions in Japan come with a special accent or?
 
So then, at about 7:20 I get to Ofuna, where I am greeted with this marvellous sight:
This is the Ofuna Kannon statue, which is a gigantic bust of the Buddhist deity Guan Yin. It`s 25meters tall and absolutely breathtaking. Every day I can`t help but stop and stare at it. It`s truly beautiful. It overlooks Ofuna Station and the surrounding area.

Anyway, then I board the 7:37 train to Ishikawacho, which is the station smack-dab next to my school. Although there are no Buddhas at this station, there is one of the four gates to Yokohama Chinatown, which are also majestic.

Then, I get to school at about 8:00.

学校(school)
School is fun. I have 6 classes in a day (except on Thursday when I have 7) and two Home Room classes per day. Lunch is about 45 minutes which is cool, and I get a delicious homemade bento (Japanese style lunchbox) every day from my host mother. The school also has a cafeteria but it seems to me that mostly senior students eat in there. My year eat in our classrooms.
The length of a day can vary. Classes always start at 8:30 but sometimes they end at 3:15 and sometimes they end at 4:30. towards the end of July, they`ll end at 1pm, which is cool.

(home)
Once I get home, the same way I came to school, I study, do homework (or attempt to) or read. At the moment I`m re-reading A Game of Thrones and falling in love with it all over again. In the evenings, I help my host mother cook dinner and clean up. Yesterday, I made my first ever Dublin Coddle for dinner to say thank you to my host family. Although it wasn`t a patch on my mama`s tried and tested Coddle, I have to say I did a good job :) and everyone emptied their bowls so I was delighted!

Then I usually spend about 40-50 minutes online, writing this blog and sending emails, and then I shower, bathe and sleep. The shower is very interesting, I`ll save that for another post ;)

Also it may interest you to know that all the girls in my class think that I`m very beautiful, which is sweet. They all say "I want to be white like you!" (which I don`t know if I should take as a compliment cos I`m so pale or...) or "I want your blonde hair" etc etc. So far I`ve heard:
  • "Your eye colour is very beautiful!" *cue staring into eyes*
  • "Your hair colour is very beautiful!" *cue stroking my hair*
  • "Your skin colour is very beautiful!"
  • "Your eyebrows are very beautiful!" (I think this was just a polite way of noticing that my hair and eyebrows are different colours)
  • "Your feet are very beautiful!" (as I changed into P.E. socks and shoes. Yep. My feet are beautiful here.)
Anyway folks I`m very nemui (sleepy) so I`m off to bed now. Leave suggestions in the comments if there`s any particular topic you want me to write about!

じゃあね、
クイーヴァ
Caoimhe



 
 

4 comments:

  1. we think you're beautiful too ya know.
    And Coddle! Jaysus. I'm partial to a bit of it myself but it's not to everyone's liking.
    I made it for St Patrick's day once for a pile of people. They all refused to eat it. The had to eat lashings and lashings of garlic bread with hot whiskeys instead. and there was a huge pot of left over pink mickeys bobbing up and down...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an average night in the George to be honest... ;)

      Delete
  2. Your feet??! Oh for Gods sale. Don't believe the hype OR keep away from foot fetishists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet are safely protected in Pokemon slippers right now, don`t worry!!

      Delete