Monday 8 July 2013

Japanese Snacks #1

Whattup crackas,

Today I`m gonna tell you about some Japanese snacks :D

This is my new favourite snack food- カレーパン (curry bread). I get it usually once a week as a treat for lunch (I had it today om nom nom nom)
If you like curry as much as I do, you`d love this. It`s basically fried bread with curry sauce and sometimes vegetables or cheese inside. It`s light but filling, and absolutely delicious. I intend to bring a suitcase home filled with it. It`s also cheap (¥180 for a large scone-sized piece - about 1.50euro)

Here`s another one I love love love - 抹茶キトカツ (green tea Kit Kats)
Don`t be put off by the colour- it`s amazing. It tastes like white chocolate with a hint of sweet green tea and awwwwh it`s divine I love it <3 Also, probably because of the heat here (36C today) the chocolate is quite soft, making it even nicer to eat :)

Something I`m eating lots of in this heat is a more traditional Japanese treat - かき氷 (shaved ice)
It`s essentially a Slushee with thicker pieces of ice, so you eat it rather than drink. It`s just plain shaved ice with a flavoured syrup poured over the top - typically strawberry or green tea, but yesterday I had a Ramune flavoured one, so anything goes really. Sometimes milk is added to the syrup to give it a more ice-creamy flavour. It`s lovely and great to cool you down in this intense humidity.

Those funny looking things are actually chocolate dipped bananas - a very popular street food in the summer. They`ve got a few flavours- chocolate, strawberry, green tea, etc. They are insanely sweet, not something I`m a big fan of. They`re nice for the first  bite, but after that you can practically feel your teeth rotting...

Here`s another traditional Japanese snack - だんご (dango)
Dango are balls of rice dough flavoured with different things, such as green tea powder or anko (sweet bean paste). Those pictured are in a sweet soy sauce type thing, and are easily my favourite. They`re delicious and light and nom nom nom~

This last one isn`t really Japanese- vanilla pudding
but I like this brand cos Clint Eastwood is on the jar

Similarly, Boss Coffee
has Tom Selleck smoking a pipe


Speaking of Tom Selleck, please enjoy this photograph of him, the magnificent specimen of a man

Night gang,
クイーヴァ
Caoimhe


3 comments:

  1. Did you know that Tom Selleck has Blue Blood ? Probably from drinking those slushies !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. でも、おいしい!
      (but, they`re delicious!)

      Delete
  2. Put me on the list for curry bread and green kitkat. I'll pay your excess luggage charges!!!

    ReplyDelete