Tuesday 2 July 2013

電車 (trains)

こんにちは!(konnichiwa!)

Today I`m gonna tell you all about the wondrous Japanese train network, which is far superior to Ianrod Eireann. *cue attacks by die-hard Irish train passengers*

There are many companies and types of train here, but I`ll talk about the main one (which I ride everyday) - Japan Rail, or JR.

JR Blue Negishi Line - my train.
Japanese trains are very different from Irish trains. For one, the interior is more like the Luas than anything else in Ireland. Lots of standing room- oh boy they need standing room.

This photo is clearly fake. there are NEVER empty seats.
 
When it comes to seats on the train, I`ve found the Japanese to be very "me fein" - only once have I seen a Japanese offer an empty seat to someone. Don`t get me wrong, there are 6 priority seats in every car reserved for the pregnant, disabled, elderly or people with infants, but other than that, it`s fair game. People will wiggle closer and closer to a seat until the seated person is face to face with their stomach (or worse) so that when they get off, they will be first to snatch the seat. Luckily for me, I often catch the 4th car on the train, which is generally Women`s Only.

 
I`m not entirely sure why there are Women`s Only cars on the train. I think it`s something to do with gropers and the like being a common problem on these crowded trains (which in fairness I have not seen happen) so women feel more comfortable in these cars. Unless it`s very busy, men don`t set foot inside these cars, so it`s much quieter, and easier to catch a seat.

Something interesting about Japanese trains is the quietness. In Japan, it`s considered very rude to speak on the phone whilst taking public transport, and so most Japanese sit in total silence texting, playing games or reading. It means you can hear the announcements perfectly, which are said in both English and Japanese. Also, each station has it`s own theme music which plays whenever a train arrives, so passengers know where they are. It`s so coooooool!
I love listening to them and listening out for the subtle differences between the similar tunes. I wish Ireland had a system like this :P Definitely downloading Ishikawacho Station`s (the one by my school) as a ringtone when I get home.

So basically, Japanese trains are awesome and very very fast. I think they`re far more efficient (and definitely more regular) than Irish trains, and I really enjoy the daily commute.
And to prove I`m not a total traitor to the motherland...

Dia daoibh faoin uaisle, seo e an 14:55 traen on Staisiun Heuston go dti Gaillimh agus beidh se ag freastail Tulach Mhor, Cul an tSudaire agus Gaillimh. Go raibh maith agaibh ag (forgotten this bit) le hIarnrod Eireann.

(for everyone else, that`s the Irish train announcement)

laters!
クイーヴァ
Caoimhe

5 comments:

  1. You are a true daughter of the Irish Republic, Caoimhe Ó Foghlú.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I serve neither King nor Kaiser, but Ireland.
      *dramatic tear*

      speaking of dramatic tears, did you know that they make any song deep and powerful?

      "where did you come from?
      where did you go?
      where did you come from...?
      *dramatic tear*
      (whispers)...cotton eyed joe"

      Delete
  2. Hope you get to go on Tokyo Subway soon! It's just like WWW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Sunday we are going to Skytree so maybe then :D

      Delete
  3. Love the station jingles. Tullamore could have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8J9gftIVR8 Offaly's finest.

    Found this on Train tunes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_melody

    And here's more on the gropers / chikan

    "Women cited safety from gropers, as well as not having to tolerate various smells"!!!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women-only_passenger_car#Japan

    ReplyDelete