Thursday 4 July 2013

ねむい (sleepy)

Yo homies,

The Japanese sleep a lot.
a LOT.
EVERYWHERE


It`s one of the things that surprised me the most about Japan. When you get on a train, people all around you are out of it, snoozing away. At first I was quite alarmed when I saw someone nod off, thinking maybe he`d fainted, but then somebody else closed their eyes and soon about half the train was asleep. Yet, nobody ever sleeps past their stop. It`s truly an amazing skill.

Also a lot of people have mastered the skill of sleeping standing up (unlike that poor fellow in the photo up there)

In school it`s completely normal for people to give up in the middle of a lesson and have a nap. I know I used to sleep in school all the time, but it was never during class, only in free classes or after school if I was wrecked. The Japanese students just collapse onto their desks and snooze, and what`s more, it makes no difference to the teachers, who just carry on teaching.

I think today I`ll write a few short posts rather than just one long one, so chat soon!

クイーヴァ
Caoimhe

2 comments: