Wednesday 24 July 2013

Goodbyes

Hey gang

Today was, bar none, the most emotional day of my life since the end of CTYI `11. Today the summer holidays started in Japan - meaning my time at Minato Sohgoh has come to an end.

I am heartbroken to be leaving.
(I still have two weeks left in Japan but still)

Today, I had to make a speech in front of the whole school for the second time. The first time, I was nervous as heck, trying to hold back nerves as I introduced myself in shaky Japanese. This time, I was trying to hold back tears as I thanked everyone for taking me under their wings and making me feel so welcome.

After the speech, a group of my friends ushered me to the cafeteria, insisting we eat together because it was my last day. But as soon as we sat down, they all jumped up again and said, "ok let`s go back to class."
I had no idea what was happening!

Then, I was ushered back into the classroom, where I was greeted by exploding party poppers and applause. "THANK U FOR COMING TO JAPAN" was written on the board in big letters, and all the tables were pushed back except for a few in the middle, upon which sat two beautiful cakes and a huge bag of snacks. The whole class and our Home Room teacher began to sing Happy Birthday (although with the Japanese accent it`s "happy basuday") and some of the boys held up big signs saying Happy Birthday. Then, Manami (my amazing buddy) gave me a gift, a beautiful handmade card that everyone had written a message on. I immediately burst into tears.
I can`t believe that I meant so much to my classmates that they went to the trouble of organizing a whole birthday party for me (and it`s not even my birthday until Saturday) with such a beautiful gift. The teacher also gave me a wonderful gift -  a leather bracelet with the school`s logo imprinted onto it; it had been handmade by the Leather-craft class of the nearby Special Needs High School. I have only known these people a month and yet they treated me like an old friend from childhood. Everyone wrote such touching letters on the card, in English and Japanese, so much that I`m choking up just reading them now.

If any of Class 1-6 are reading this, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. The party was the sweetest, kindest thing anyone has ever done for me; and I will always remember you, and treasure our time together.
I will come back to you all one day, like I promised.
I don`t know when, or for how long
but I will

I promise.

クイーヴァ
Caoimhe

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... that's very nice.. .but then you're very nice too.
    They sound like a really sound bunch of people. You will come home?? Won't you??? We promise cake and cards too...

    ReplyDelete