Tuesday 25 June 2013

こうこう(High School)


Hey everyone!

Today was my first day of Japanese High School, and whoooooa. SO different.

I didn`t really understand much, but I had fun. I'm gonna seperate this post into sub-headings because I have so much to say here!!

かもく (subjects)
I`m taking all the same classes as my Buddy System partner, Mana-chan (who is the most adorable lil thing) here they are:
  • English Conversation
  • Freshman English
  • Japanese (very difficult for me)
  • Maths
  • Home Economics (surprisingly the subject I understood the most after English)
  • World Science (basically a mix of Science and Geography, an absolutely deadly class)
  • P.E
  • Computers
  • Music (very different to Leaving/Junior Cert Music, it`s completely performance-orientated)
  • Social Studies
  • Health
I thought Maths would be easy enough, as, y`know:
"why are you taking 12th grade calculus?"
"cos it`s the same in every country"
OH BOY WAS I WRONG

Students
Japanese students are the sweetest thing! I love them!
Today I heard the word "Kawaii" (cute) at least two dozen times. Literally everything I did was adorable to them, my accent, my clothes, even my yawns :P
Everyone seems fascinated by me, which is lovely. All the girls have taken my photo already :`) at one point, everyone was touching my hair and saying "kawaiiiiii" over and over again.
Also, cos I can`t go on Facebook at the mo, somebody please tell Aisling Kearns that there is a girl in my Home Economics class that looks and sounds exactly like her. Except, y`know, Japanese.

Also, the students here are more lax regarding rules. Everyone has a phone in their pocket and texts between classes (and sometimes during) and the teachers are completely unfazed. Long conversations take place during classes and it`s completely normal.

Uniform
Although the school has a set uniform, the rules are very lenient. The essential components are the school skirt and a white shirt. After that, you can choose your own sweater-vest, socks, tie and shoes. My vest is a navy button cardigan, I love it :)
Each brand has it`s own logo on the chest. Mine is a man riding a horse- like Ralph Lauren ;) - and lots cater to the "cute" culture of Japan. However, I`m not sure that the logos are completely understood, because I`ve seen a good few Playboy Bunny sweaters and socks...
Some other popular logos I`ve seen are the Eiffel Tower (on my socks), Statue of Liberty and Minnie Mouse.

General amusing things
  • A teacher asked me today if I watched football, so I said yes and he raised his arms and said "ROBBIE KEANE"
  • There are sinks in the hallways where the girls brush their teeth at the end of the day
  • I brought a big box of Love Hearts for the class, and they are a huge hit
  • I would not be considered small here :D :D

Ok, I`m off now. Actually, I think I`ll do the toilety post cos people have asked..

Big shout out to Joe Fontana in Macari`s Tullamore who awesomely sponsored my trip :D

Caoimhe

2 comments:

  1. For his kindness I shall visit Macari's on my next trip to Tullamore. I'm sure he'll have sushi on the menu soon!
    Loving the posts. keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And HOW different is maths? Is 1+1 not the same the world over!!!

    ReplyDelete